Saturday, January 22, 2011

The creation, growth and understanding of an Artist | Michigan Photographer

I started my photographic journey because i just loved the way taking photos made me feel. The feeling you get when you get that breath taking shot is something unknown to many people. I know that feeling. I love that feeling. And for lack of a better analogy i will say its like a drug for me. I am constantly seeking out that feeling and the high i get from it. I love when i see something in my head and can produce it to a hard copy image. I feel i am first a dreamer artist and second a photographer.

 My journey has taken many twists and turns. I have learned SO many aspects of life as a photographer. Some were very unknown in the beginning. Like how attached you get to your clients, or exactly how much actual work goes in to a single 8x10 photo.

I have shed so many tears, spent hours frustrated and days elated over a single image. I have shared in such precious moments of other human lives and danced and cried with them in many ways. I cannot truly translate to words the photographer i want to be. I feel like i am getting there. There is always something to learn and things that can be tweaked.

 I have made some big changes in my business this year and it is not going unnoticed by my clients. For one the big thing being prices. I was feeling so sheepish and shy about announcing my new pricing. Not because i was procrastinating but because i was a little scared of people sounding off about it. I didn't want to "Upset" anyone. I have spent the last two years tiptoeing around making my business what i want it to be. Why?  To appease others and to not lose clients.

 I have been doing some real soul searching lately. Some business soul and personal soul.

I spend hours on end editing photos or planning sessions. I spend days returning emails and answering questions, researching new techniques for improving my photos, marketing, blogging and many other business related tasks. These are all "Work".  All these tasks take me away from the ones i love. And i like you need to be making sure i am getting paid for the hours i work.

I always hope that when my clients receive their products that they know in their heart, that their investment was totally worth it. That is the whole goal. I don't want to give you photos that you plan to change in 3 months. I am not walmart's portrait studio. I don't just want to be there to capture what your child looks like at age 3. I want you to be able to see their 3 year old soul, the love in their face, the silly and the curiosity of a child's mind. I want you to invest in a true piece of art not just a picture. I strive to produce images that can absolutely melt you. Even if you look at them 10 years from now.

I have spent quite a while improving my craft. I have invested countless hours and dollars. Not because i just want to be a photographer and make money, but because i want to melt hearts, create art and be able to do it without being hindered by a 9-5 job.  

"I do not want to be hired for my prices, i want to be hired because you love my work and absolutely have to have it"

The birth of a child,  a newborn session, a wedding and so many other special moments will never be able to be recreated. You get one chance, one shot to capture those moments. There is no redo.

 I find myself heart broken for people when i see someone skimp on their childs first photos because they wanted to save $50+ or they let a family member with a point and shoot do their wedding photos to save money in the budget. No one will remember that you had chair coverings at your wedding or that it was at the most expensive place in the state. The only memories of that day that will last 100 years from now,  are the ones the images captured.

Nobody, not even you, will remember exactly what your child looked like at 5 days old. But the beautiful images on canvas that hang in his room, will forever tell you of his chubby face and whispy little hairs on the top of his head. Only those images will show the fine little hairs on his shoulder and his pouty pink lips pursed just so.

These are YOUR moments. These images are all you get for those moments, for the rest of your life. Like any other long term investment there is a price. But there is one thing that is different from other large investments. The love you will feel for these images will not fade with the style. The style fades with the newest washer and dryer, or the fanciest pair of shoes, or the sportiest car. The same love for a photo is always there. Even a hundred years from now. It may not even be you loving the photo. A hundred years from now it may be your great great grandchild loving the photo.

And that is what i strive for. I want people to love my work the way i do. Not love my price more than the work. I want people to say "Amanda Marie Photography does the BEST work" not "She has the cheapest prices in town". I was cheaper than Sears. That, is a problem. Sears says sit here and smile just so. Anyone can do that. Like i have said before it takes a true artist to capture your soul. I truly feel i am a true artist. And i hope you feel the same. I understand if i lose clients over pricing. It saddens me but i understand.

Here is a wonderfully written article about custom photography. I urge you to check it out. This article really gives great insight into the world of pricing for custom photographers.

I am so thankful for the clients who have stayed and supported me as i have grown into the photographer i am and am still becoming. I am so thankful for the past clients who gave me a chance to practice on their families. Without them i would have never been able to learn my craft.

1 comments:

Lauren H said...

Wonderfully written blog post :)
I'd want you to shoot (errrrr....photograph) my family if we lived closer! Don't ever let anyone make you feel like you're not worth what you charge!

Post a Comment