Sunday, January 30, 2011

No really, It doesn't matter! | Michigan Photographer | Michigan Child Photographer | Michigan Family Photographer

I get asked a lot about where to do photos in the winter. When i respond that i can do them in your home i get quite the look or long pause on the phone. I see something in your home that you can't. I see beautiful light or even a perfect backdrop. I also get told quite a bit "My house is too small" or "My house is a disaster". I am here to tell you that no one cares. Because no one will know. I have my way of photographing so that only what we want seen or to be believed is shown.

And for the record my own house is a disaster 24/7 ask any one of my family members. I am a terrible house keeper some times and we have 3 kids. If i spent the entire day making sure my home was perfect, my children will have been neglected the entire day.

Today was a perfect example of this. I bet you cannot tell in the pictures below that my husband was in this room painting and remodeling while we are in there shooting at the same time. True Story!!!

Beds make great photo spots. Go ahead throw all the laundry in the closet or on the floor. No one will know but you and me and the floor boards. Bedrooms usually have the best light any ways, because that is where all the windows are.

Living rooms with big windows are great too. Especially Bay Windows!

Even dining rooms. We move the table out of the way (sweep up the dust bunnies) and TADA a beautiful back drop. Dining rooms sometimes have wainscoding around them as well which is also beautiful in pictures. Or trim which looks great too!

Old claw foot bathtubs can be be really fun too!!!

The family home is just that HOME. The true moments of your family happen there. The most intimate moments of you life happen there. Its the place your child took their first steps, Where you rock them every night, Where you spend countless hours cooking, cleaning, caring, reading, loving and just being. Why NOT photograph yourselves there. Your home is your safe place, you protection, the place you go to be with the ones you adore. The place where full bellies and warm beds wait.

Your couch has held your entire family for a movie, rested your feverish child, cushioned you after a hard day, gave you a place to sort laundry, the place where cars and dry cereal hides, the magical place of coins and the fort blanket holder-upper. Why not photograph you being where you are comfortable and with what you know?

Your bed is the morning crawl in spot, where snuggles of bed head inner twine with giggles from tiny faces. Little toes peeking from beneath the blankets. Its where you curl up each night with the one you love and where you land after a long day of living life.

Are you now seeing the beauty of your home that i see?

It doesn't matter that last weeks dishes are there because last nights homework is done.

It doesn't matter that laundry has piled up because those clothes show days of grass stains and sandy hand wipes from moments of play. Moments that actually happened because you were NOT doing laundry.

It doesn't matter. I promise.








                                                                   


Like i said i can always get creative in almost any space, with the right light. And sometimes keeping sessions simple and limited to one space is best. It  So no more cringing! No more excuses! WE can do it!

Hope you all had a Wonderful and Creative weekend!

6 comments:

Juli L. said...

These are so cute! That's so true to not get so caught up in everything being just so. :)

Ashley Rueckert said...

AGREE! People say stuff to me all the time about my house being a mess! People say, "Why do you let your house get like this?" "What do you do all day?" My response; "I'm busy playing with my kids!" ;0) I wish more people saw it that way!

Keira Welter said...

Great Post! Way to inform people how your photography is truly an art form.

Maureen Ryan DelGaudio said...

Excellent thoughts. Great points to help a client feel more comfortable about home sessions.

The Hippy Home said...

Oh, I get that all the time too! Great post.

twins and a singleton said...

You are so right! My house may be messy, but for a great reason! Thank u for making me remember that seen as, I am a clean freak! Not so much anymore:)

Post a Comment